Saturday, September 12, 2009

What Makes You Struggle Makes you Stronger

The summer is nearly over and once again we are headed back to school to enrich our minds and to return to a more regular schedule. I know for myself, this summer has been a learning opportunity as to how it relates to my Judaism.

I spent the summer in Toronto, Ontario where Jews and Judaism is ever present right around the corner. Kosher food in the markets in plenty. Three large synagogues within walking distance. Most of all, there is an overwhelming sense of normalcy in being a Jew.

In Eugene, back home in Oregon, it is a daily struggle, a challenge to be a Jew. Very little Kosher food, few Jews, and yet, those are the major reasons I feel like a strong Jew.

While here, I worked at Jewish Community Center Day Camp that was three or four times the size of the one we have at home. More counselors, kids, activities, Jews. I wore my kipa (skullcap) every day that I felt comfortable, as is my rule with myself. And that led them to such strong assumptions as to who I was and who I was supposed to be.

This taught me a very important lesson: There is nothing more significant than creating a personal and unique Judaism.

Of course, two people may agree as to their beliefs and even on how to observe those beliefs, but in the end, we each stand alone, looking into the metaphorical mirror and have to live with what we believe and how we choose to act on those.

So, with the summer ending, and the school year beginning, I would like to offer these suggestions and challenges to each of you as I myself undertake them.

Learn more about your Judaism. Study with friends, parents, teachers, and those around you. There is so much to learn about everything, take advantage of that.

Try new things. I, for example, am going to attempt to pray every morning. It is something I've wanted to do, but never actually done. Try doing something like this for yourself. Light candles before you go out on Friday night to recognize the Sabbath or try and eat less non-Kosher things. Or try and do something that is meaningful to you.

How are you going to strengthen your personal Judaism? How are you going to take the opportunity of the new school year?

Jeremy Markiz

No comments:

Post a Comment