Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Value of Words

For the past week, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the value of words, both spoken and written.  The spoken word, according to traditional Judaism, is permanent and when you say something it can never be destroyed.  This is one of the reasons why Lashon Hara (Evil tongue or Gossip) is considered such a significant issue.

There is a Hasidic thought that I have heard that says that people only have a certain number of words that they can say before dying.  We don't know how many words that is which is why its so important to watch what we say.

I know for myself, I am a talker.  I enjoy discourse.  And as human beings, we like to gossip.  The question that I have is, how can we speak better?  

I think that an important issue to discuss on how we can speak better, is what should we talk about?  What, as students, should we be talking about?  Of course, I don't believe anyone should force anyone else to say, or not say, anything.  But as people, should we be conscious about what we talk about?

I think that as students we have the opportunity to talk, because of our immersion in the education system, about things that really make a difference: What are we doing here? Why should I study history, science, business, or psychology?  Who am I and what is my place in society?

Sadly, I don't really see that.  I see a waste of words.  I am, without doubt, guilty of this as well, and this is something that I'm working on and encourage others to do the same.  Think about what you say, how you say it, and why you say it.  We have an opportunity to be in a place where people are growing as intellectuals and as people, lets take advantage of that!

With that, what ways would you suggest that we can begin to value words?

Jeremy Markiz

No comments:

Post a Comment