Monday, June 1, 2009

Shavuot


Last Thursday began the Holiday of Shavuot, considered by many to be one of the most important on the Jewish calendar, which recalls the giving of the Ten Commandments and the Revelation at Mount Sinai. It is a traditional custom to study all night.

In that light, I am only going to ask some questions that have been sitting with me since Shavuot. I feel that the Jewish Tradition necessitates questions which is why I am going to do so now:

Revelation was so long ago, why is it still relevant to us today, as University of Oregon students? As A. J. Heschel said, Revelation was an event that we still grapple with today instead of continuing to experience, what does this mean? Do students really study all night on Shavuot? What can the 10 Commandments mean to me? Is the Torah divinely written, inspired, or completely of human construction? Is the Torah really perfect? Why was Hebrew chosen as the language of the Torah? What does it mean to see sound? What does God's voice sound like? Does it have a sound? Should I be able to hear it? What place does Torah have in my life? What if I don't have answers? Should I have answers?

I encourage you all to comment with some of your questions.

Jeremy Markiz

No comments:

Post a Comment