Thursday, June 4, 2009

Why are we at University?


As I wind my way through my experiences here at the University of Oregon, I see a lot of variety. People from many backgrounds, different majors, different friends, involved in different clubs. This, in my opinion, is one of the best parts about being here.

Another amazing thing about being here is the opportunity to grow as individuals. To ask good questions, to dissect the meaning of life, and to take people with you on a journey of understanding (a bit grandiose I know but you catch my drift).

However, when I look back on the people I know and ask generally, are they taking advantage of all the amazing opportunities that exist? The answer is a resounding, no. What I do see are people who party instead of study, drink instead of read, and who skip class because they are too hungover on a Tuesday. What a waste of time and money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for partying and enjoying oneself in social situations, but is there not a time and a place for it all?

I suppose my question is, why are we here at University?

My answer is that we are here to find our passions, make connections, learn about ourselves, and to discover as many things as possible on as many topics as possible. The way I do that is I ask questions. I ask as many as I can possibly think of. I use Google search all the time. My to-do list contains the word research all over the place.

I offer to you all this: Lets take the stereotype of constant partying out of the picture and really try and learn about who we are. Lets ask the questions that are important to us. And finally lets really try and take advantage of all that we have in front of us.

Which ways are you taking advantage of your university experience? Do you think others are doing the same?

Jeremy Markiz

No comments:

Post a Comment