Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Why I love "Jewish"

Growing up in what I always described as a "white-bread, bible-belt" town, my Judaism was not something I really thought about a lot. I was Jewish, and my friends were not; that was it. This lead to many a Jewish holiday shared with my classmates, as my father would come to my Elementary classes around Christmas to teach about Channukah and usually we'd play Dreidel. At every Passover Seder and Channukah celebration each of us kids got to bring a friend along and by high school my close friends (mostly varying degrees of Catholics, some Mormons and Baptists ) considered themselves Jews by association. They knew the prayers, knew the traditions, and above all, saw the way my family came together. My best friend, Megan, eventually began to walk around touting the phrase "I love Jewish!" And I thought it was, cute, but I'd never really given much thought to it.

The exchange of religion growing up, however, was not one-sided. Like I said, I grew up in a very conservative town, think the movie "Saved" meets "Stepford Wives." On a regular basis, I would go to Church with my friends after spending the night, or youth group where they held leadership, and even to Bible Study every so often. I usually really enjoyed this exchange, but I didn't know a lot of my own feelings about Judaism, except for the extreme pride I had in being one of the few Jews I knew. I had an expereince one evening attending Bible study at one of the most conservative Baptist Churches in town. The youth pastor pointed out 2 verses to the group (from the new testament), and asked who thought the two verses contradicted each other. I read them, and as far as I was concerned, they did. The verses may as well have been arguing that the sky was blue vs. red. To my surprise I was the ONLY one in the room with their hand raised. At which point, I was blasted by the youth pastor who exclaimed, "the Bible NEVER contradicts itself."

I came home from the whole experience quite confused, and my father simply pointed out, "that's what so great about being Jewish Ruth, we are supposed to disagree, supposed to ask questions, we are constanstly supposed to be figuring it out."

From the moment I was a little girl, my dad has said those very words to me. Judaism has instilled in me the value of questioning, never taking things at face value, and always believing there is more to be learned or understood. There are refrences to this all throughout Judaism. The word Israel means "one who wrestles with G-d;" the Talmud presents differing commentary and interpretations from Rabbinic scholars, with no seeming rush to resolve these differences. Why? Because Judaism thrives on the process of the discussion, not the answer.

I have been lucky enough to have such conversations in my time here at Oregon, and it has helped bring my feeling of Judasim full circle. When I was younger, my Dad implored me to always ask questions, in both my secular life and Judaism, but I didn't make the connection. Now, when I think about Megan, and her constant high pitched proclamation "I LOVE JEWISH" I am infused with my new understandings of this beautiful culture.

Ruth Kerman

2 comments:

  1. I love Jewish too, as you know! You proclaimed me an honorary Jew some years ago, and I wear that title with pride, especially now that I am Musical Director for Temple Beth Chaverim! I was raised in the Episcopal Church, and I am proud to be from the Diocese that is known for having had a Bishop who was tried for heresy. He also believed that it was the questioning which led to the scholarship and the deeper understanding of and relationship with God. Bishop John Shelby Spong questioned, and continues to question, the very things I always did, and still do. His questioning is what gave me the model that says, to be Christian does not mean that I have to swallow everything hook, line, and sinker! I can be intelligent, free-thinking, and even Humanist, and still be within the realm of Christianity! I can look at, yes, the inconsistencies of the Bible (because it was actually WRITTEN BY MEN interpreting the Word of God and the history of the time, and they were, after all, HUMAN and therefore capable of inconsistency!!!), and still be able to call myself Christian. I do not, however, identify so much with Christians, because of so many incidents that are akin to the one you mention above. It embarasses me that so many Christians stifle free discussion and exploration, and insist on the unquestioning indoctrination of their youth. I would personally prefer to be fed to the lions than eat the doctrine of blind, unquestioning belief in word-for-word Biblical statements. That is when faith becomes a drug, rather than a joyful and constantly evolving series of self-discovery and God discovery! So yes, I love Jewish, I love Christian, I love Druid and Buddhist, I love anything in which I can discover the truth of God and myself and my fellow human. And I love Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Ruth! Very articulate. I love the things you wrote that your dad told you. He's a good man! I wish my dad had told me to question everything ~ it would have saved me a lot of heartache over the year. :)

    ReplyDelete